An Extremely Unfiltered Interview With Sexyy Red - Complex

You just dropped "Female Gucci Mane." Tell me about that title. What makes you the female Gucci Mane?
I mean, I ain't even the one that said it. Everybody always be telling me I remind them of Gucci Mane. I think it's the whole persona, because of my confidence and the hood shit. And I'm a girl rapping it, so they're like, "She's the female version." When I heard the beat, I was just like, "Female Gucci Mane, big ass diamond chain."

What about Gucci do you look up to?
I just fuck with Gucci. Back in the day, he used to wear the big old chains. He was just extra. He used to have the big watch, the crazy cars with the big rims, and stuff like that. I'm extra like that, too. I love all that kind of shit.

I saw you were all over the blogs recently for posting on Instagram, "I want to be NBA YoungBoy's next baby mama."
Yeah, oh my God. They be taking me real serious on there. I did not know that somebody was going to take that off my page and post it. I just be talking shit. So I see now I got to watch what I say, because they just take stuff and run with it. But I was for real on some joking stuff like, "Damn he be getting anybody pregnant. I might as well get a baby by his ass." His 12th baby. And I'm like, "I'm next. I'm next in line." And I put that on there and they took it and ran with it.[Laughs.]

You keep getting suspended from Instagram. Do you know why?
My team said I'm too ratchet for Instagram. And people be hating, too. People can report your page and get it taken down, just on some hating ass lame shit. That's what they be on, reporting my shit for no reason.

When you're not on social media, what do you do on the internet? What do you look up?
I be looking up life paths. Do you know what life paths are? It's like astrology, where they take your birthday, add the numbers up, and they tell what kind of person you is. It tells your personality all the way through. I feel like the way our birthdays are set up, it do give you your spark. Something about you. It's interesting. So I be looking up shit like that. Aliens. UFO sightings. Haunted houses.

Do you believe in aliens?
Yes. I believe in all kind of shit. Mermaids, Bigfoots, I look up everything on YouTube. And I always find some shit, so I'm like, "Ah, this shit real!"

You just mentioned ghosts. Have you had any ghost sightings?
Yes. Oh my God. I could tell you two stories. Our house was haunted. We had a big old speaker in the house and you had to press a button on the speaker and turn the knob up to turn it on. My mom was just chilling, and out of nowhere, the speaker turned on by itself and it went all the way up, just playing music. She was scared.

One time I was on punishment and everybody was in the living room playing the Michael Jackson Wii game where you do the dances and stuff. My back was turned towards the wall and something smacked my ass. At first, I was thinking my sisters and them were playing. But I turned around so fast, looking at the door, like, "Who the fuck just came in here and hit me?" But  they didn't know what I had going on. The house was real haunted. My sisters and them got stories, too.

It definitely sounds like something weird was going on with that house. It sounds haunted. Did you only have those experiences in that one location?
Spirits can follow you, too. Because I've been in new houses and I've heard a noise and I'm like, "This is a new house. I know nobody died in this house. How is it haunted?" But I heard that your angel or something can follow you around and show you that they're still around, type shit. Or your family or something. I don't know. But yeah, I got hella stories. I love this kind of shit, but it scares me.

I remember one time in my basement it was dark down there and my sister and her friends were playing hide-and-go-seek. Bruh, they said they seen a dark shadow down there. They all came running upstairs. They was so scared. But everybody used to have stories about our house. That's how I knew it was haunted. Even my little stepbrother would be crying, like, "The TV keep cutting on by itself." We'd turn it off, then it'd come back on. He was so scared. He was crying tears.

Before we finish here, I have an absurd question for you: What's the meaning of life?
What's the meaning of life? I be sitting back, like, "Is this really life? Is this really the life that we're living?" It is crazy. It's fucked up sometimes. Life is just a trip. You could be up one day and then the next day you're just in the gutters. It be fucking me up sometimes.

Definitely. How much has your world changed in the last few months?
It's changed a lot. That's why I said I be sitting back and saying, "Is this really life?"

What's next for Sexyy Red?
My lip gloss line is about to drop. I've got some more music about to drop. Hopefully y'all see me in some TV shows. I'm trying to get on TV, the big screen, and shit like that. I'm outside this summer. And I already accomplished one of my goals: I said 2023 is my year. I kept saying that in 2022, because I was on some lazy shit. So I just kept telling my team, "Just wait for 2023, y'all. I'm going to get on my shit." Then it came and I was just working, working, working, then "Pound Town" blew up. So it's been working in my favor.

Adblock test (Why?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog